Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Are You Trying Too Hard To be a Good Writer?

As a novelist I get a lot of criticism. If it’s useful I pay attention and try to improve; if not I shrug it off. Recently I got some feedback that stung: It said I was trying too hard.

The criticism had the ring of truth. There was so much effort in my work. I was trying to be clever, trying to be literary, and trying to please. My critic had seen my sweat marks, and that was no good.

Writing is difficult but in the reading you should not see the effort. That applies to anything we undertake.

We want to succeed at what we do but when we try too hard we meet roadblocks. Just like when you’ve forgotten something; it’s on the tip of your tongue, but if you strain to remember, it’ll never come.

It’s when you’re not thinking about it that it materializes.

Whatever you do, whether if be writing or painting, treat it lightly, playfully. If you feel yourself starting to perspire, you’re probably making things worse.

It might sound trite but there’s some truth to this saying:

Never let them see you sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment